Tuesday, April 19, 2011

FLAG - Families Learning About Germany

Thank goodness for this class and my instructor Havi!

Wow... what a great week last week was!  Don got off early each day so I could take this class and learn a bit about the way things are in Germany.  And I feel great!

I really did learn a good bit about public transportation, about shopping, about their language, and about the people themselves!

Havi showed me how to buy a bus/strassenbahn ticket, we took a bus to the hauptbahnhof (train station), and she showed us where and how to buy our various train tickets for in and outside of Germany, we toured the station, then we hopped onto a strassenbahn down to the Bizmarkplatz for a quick tour of Aldstadt.  We got a rare invite to her daughter's flat - which had a fabulous view! 

Havi showed me how to order at a place of business... not like it is in the States really.  In the states, we walk up and look in the display case and then normally go to the register to order.  Well, you don't walk up UNTIL you are ready to order... also, I learned that when Germans are in line they do not leave a space.  If you leave a space, then you are not in line... you are just hanging out.  Someone will cut in front of you. 

I had actually experienced that at the Schloss the week before, but just let it roll off.  But now I know why!

We also had a field trip to a local grocery store - Rawe (pronounced Rav eh)... it was a neat store.  One I will frequent I think!  They have a fabulous selection of fruits, veggies, cheeses, meats - both packaged and fresh (daily), wine and beer... of course you have to pay w/ the Euro, but there is also a wonderful Bäckerei- the breads here have less gluten and taste wonderful!  I will be spoiled!  Don was pleased there was a Thai Restaurant in there too... This particular store was very similar in style to what you would see in the States...you just cannot read any of the products! LOL!

They also have Aldi here - and I am sure I will frequent that store as well! We have a commissary on post - and that works well...but there are many more items that we can get "on the economy" that I cannot get here.

I also learned that the water here is very hard on hair, skin and fabrics!  My reds have faded in just 2 washes!  So... I will be buying my detergents/soaps at the German stores... they are apparently specially made for the minerals found in the water here.

I also got a leg up on the language this week.  I have been practicing my German alphabet - which I new before - but really didn't put it to use.  I have also learned some of the strange letter combinations as well.

Well, the week was a good one!  We will get the pleasure of doing a Saturday tour with her in May, as a family.  I look forward to that!

Also during this week I was heavy at studying for my German Drivers Certificate License... thankfully passed w/ a 96%!  Not an easy feat really!  I had well over a few hundred signs to memorize and their "right of way" is much different than what we have in the States... so w/ Don's help and the Instructor on Monday and my hard work too!... I can now drive in Germany...as of yesterday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment