Thursday, April 28, 2011

Schwetzinger Zum Ritter

The Knight's Brewhouse! 

Don and I had a going away dinner last night for one of his co-workers who is being redeployed back to the States.

We went to the Schwetzingen Zum Ritter, they brew all their own beer.  Don tried Schwarzer Ritter, which is Black Knight; for those of you who enjoy a good beer or are interested this is described as a dark, malty smooth beer.  I am pretty boring - I had a grossen wasser - no gas.  Water comes in 2 forms, with or without bubbles here- of course in the States too, but if you ask for water you get "flat or no gas".  Wasser w/ gas is very much favored here.  Anyhow...

 Schwetzingen is the Spargel Capital of the World.  Spargel is white asparagus.  It is a very popular dish here in Germany and is sold at market from April through mid-June.  I have never liked green asparagus, but thought I would venture outside my comfort zone and try this most raved about dish.
  I had Spargel cream soup, which had good flavor.  It was very rich and I enjoy a rich creamy soup.  I can say - will probably try it again at a different restaurant to see if they can cook it differently...but as a general rule, I do not share the local's enthusaism for this dish.
I then had a Spargel Tarte - which is a flat thin pizza.  It had large slices of spargel, ham slices and a fabulous cheese spread.  It looked very pretty - but the spargel was tougher and much larger than I had envisioned in my brain.  I did eat about half of it - though the waiter thought I was a bit crazy for not eating more! :)   
 This was the view from where we were sitting.  It really was a nice little restaurant/brewhouse.  The fellowship was very nice as well!

We had forgot to take out some Euro before we left post and did not know of a bank in the area (of course we found one on the way back to the car) but b/c we didn't know this we had to drive back to post to take euro out...this made us late and so I could not take the pix I wanted to. 

This is a fabulous little town w/ many bakeries and restaurants and sights to see...we will be back w/ children in tow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment